We live in a world constantly telling us to do more, be more, and strive for perfection. It’s no wonder many of us end up feeling burnt out, exhausted, and like we’re just not enough. But what if I told you that the key to a happy and fulfilled life is learning to fall in love with yourself? Here’s why taking time to focus on self-love is so important and how you can start doing it today.
Why Self-Love Is Important
Before genuinely loving others, we need to learn how to love ourselves. Unfortunately, our society often tells us that we must constantly achieve and do more to be worthy of love. This couldn’t be further from the truth! Learning to love and accept yourself just as you are is one of the most important things you can do for your mental and physical health. When you focus on self-love, you’ll see a positive change in all areas of your life. Here are just a few benefits of self-love:
• improved mental health, including a decrease in anxiety and depression
• stronger relationships with others
• increased feelings of joy and happiness
• improved physical health
• increased productivity
• greater creativity
• improved decision-making skills
Now that we’ve gone over some of the reasons why self-love is so important let’s talk about how you can start incorporating it into your life. Here are some tips:
- Make time for yourself every day: One of the best ways to practice self-love is to make time for yourself every day, even if it’s just for 10 minutes. During this time, do something that makes you happy or brings you joy. This could be reading your favorite book, taking a relaxing bath, going for a walk outside, or anything else that makes you feel good. If you don’t have time for yourself during the day, set aside time before bed each night to wind down and relax.
- Treat yourself with kindness: Be gentle with yourself and treat yourself with the same service and compassion you would treat others. This includes speaking kindly to yourself both internally and externally. Avoid negative self-talk and instead focus on things about yourself that you appreciate and are proud of. For example, “I’m so clumsy” could become “I’m grateful for my able body” or “I made a mistake, but I’m still learning and doing my best.”
- Forgive yourself: We all make mistakes – it’s a part of being human! Instead of dwelling on your mistakes or beating yourself up over them, learn from them and forgive yourself. This will help you move on from whatever it is quickly so you can focus on the present moment.
Focusing on self-love is essential for our mental and physical health. When we care for ourselves, we’re better able to watch for those around us too. Use the tips above to start incorporating self-love into your life today!
Blessing to you on your continuous journey.
XO DeAndra Jalisa